The Lure of the Melting Pot

Saturday, January 24, 2009

Nachos with a Euro Twist!

One of my favorite things to offer on our tours is how to cook - if you are so inclined - with some of the ingredients we introduce and chat up, when visiting our merchants. Having wished for years that we could grocery shop there regularly, Lisa and I now love doing some of our weekly grocery shopping at the Farmers Market. After our tour(s) end, you might just find us still there milling around, trying to make decisions with that combined creative genius of ours!

In my fridge yesterday, I had these treasures:

Grape tomatoes (purchased at Farm Boy for $1.29) - I had roasted these, drizzled with extra-virgin olive oil; 400 oven, 20 mins, and they keep about 1 week refrigerated
Leftover pinto beans
French Cantalet cheese (purchased at Monsieur Marcel, $10.28/lb) - we sample this on tour

I had tri-color tortilla chips on the counter.

Hmmm. This collection sounded kind of-sort of sounded like it could become nachos.

With half Euro ingredients?

Oh why not. I was starving!

Have no real ingredients for nachos on hand? No problem! You too, can make these! Place tortilla chips on bottom of oven-proof dish, top with some roasted tomatoes and pinto beans, dice or thinly slice the cheese and place evenly - or, haphazardly - on top.

I baked this in a 400 oven for about 8-10 minutes - you may do as you please in the microwave (I don't own a microwave) and it will yield similar results!

Ripe Avocado* (purchased at Farm Boy for $.99) - was also in the fridge!

I mashed 1/4 of it and topped the warm nachos with that. You MUST have avocado with your Euro Nachos. Of course.

I ate it with a fork but, fingers are also effective utensils.

You know, this was delicous! Or at least I thought so, which is why I'm sharing this ingenious recipe with you. I invite you to try them and enjoy!

Got a question or comment? I would love to hear from you!

Until next time, Buon appetito! from
your faithful Tour Maestra,
Diane Scalia

*When choosing avocados, they are ripe when slightly soft. Choose those which have an 'outie' stem at the top; these will yield fresher, cleaner flesh. If you purchase unripe avocados, they will ripen faster placed in a paper bag with a red apple. Seal loosely and check daily; usually in 1-2 days they'll be ready to eat!

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home